Frequently Asked Questions
Please beware of companies that offer your shelf
corporations with bank accounts and credit lines. The nature of shelf
corporation is to be clean and purchasing a corporation with existing
activities may put you in danger for unpaid taxes and other legal issues.
All of our shelf corporations are clean and
you can perform due diligence searches to confirm that.
- What are shelf corporations?
- Why purchase a shelf corporation?
- What does BDC provide with
the purchase of a shelf corporation?
- Are your shelf corporations
in good standing?
- Do I have to be a Canadian
resident to purchase a shelf corporation?
- Does my corporation have to
be located in the province of registration?
- Where would my federal corporation
- How many members must I have
on my board of directors?
- How many directors must be
- Are shelf corporations legal?
- Can I change the name of my
1. What are shelf corporations?
Shelf corporations, or aged corporations, are companies that have been registered,
set aside to age and then sold to individuals interested in owning an established
company with a clean history.
2. Why purchase a shelf corporation?
What does Business Development Centre provide with the purchase of a shelf
- Business History - You get a company with already
- Credibility - A company with a history is more likely
to be selected as a business partner and have more credibility with
lenders and suppliers
- Business Image - Business image always improves
with the age of your company.
- Bank Loans - Banks look favorably upon your company
if it has a clean history.
- Contracts - Bids on contracts often require a company
to be of a minimum age.
- Government tenders - Some government contracts are
only available to companies that have been in operation for a certain
number of years
- Creditworthiness - Business credit and financing
is easier to obtain for older companies.
- Faster Launch - Your company is ready to go if you
need to begin your business quickly. You can avoid
the hassle of registering your new business from the beginning.
- Clients Acquisition - Clients trust a company that
has been in business for a number of years.
- Trade Credit - It is easier to obtain trade credit
from your suppliers when you can show that you have been in business
for a number of years.
- Prestige - Usually, the older the company, the higher
it's standing in the business community
- Certificate of Incorporation
- Articles of incorporation
- Share transfer agreements
For a nominal
cost you can also obtain the following:
- Stock certificates
- Corporate Minute Book
- Corporate Seal
- Change of Directors and Officers
- Change of Address
- Change of Corporate Name
- Registration of Government Tax Accounts,
like GST, PST, Payroll and WSIB
Are your shelf corporations in good standing?
Yes! Our corporations are free of debts and liabilities and have never
5. Do I have to be a Canadian
resident to purchase a shelf corporation?
No, BC corporations do not require any resident directors.
Yes, if you wish to purchase a Federal
or Ontario shelf corporation. At least 25% of your board must be made
up of Canadians.
You do not have to be a Canadian citizen.
All you need is to be a Canadian resident as specified under the Income
6. Does my corporation have
to be located in the province of registration?
A provincial corporation must have a head office in the province where
it was registered. However, you can transfer the corporation to another
province or establish an office in multiple provinces.
7. Where would my federal
corporation be located?
You can locate your federal corporation in any province you wish, however,
you must complete additional registration with that province.
8. How many members must
I have on my board of directors?
Our shelf corporations allow a range of one to seven directors. At least
one is mandatory. The minimum and maximum number of directors may be changed
9. How many directors must
At least 25% of your board must be made up of Canadians.
10. Are shelf corporations
Yes they are. Shelf corporations are regular corporations in good standing.
By purchasing all of the corporate shares you are obtaining control of
11. Can I change the name
of my shelf corporation?
Yes you can. Nearly any aspect of the corporation may be modified, as
long as the change complies with the applicable Corporations Act.